Fawzia Braine taught English for more than 30 years in Sri Lanka, the Sultanate of Oman, and Hong Kong. She qualified and served as a librarian in the United States. Fawzia was a lecturer in English at Hong Kong Shue Yan University when she passed away in January, 2012. She had been a supporter of HAAL for many years.
• Applicants should be enrolled, full- or part-time, at a university in Hong Kong or have graduated from a Hong Kong university within one year of the closing date for applications.
• Applicants should be current members of HAAL.
• The article should have been published in an international refereed journal in applied linguistics in the year for which the award is made. The first award was made for 2012-13.
• The article should be in English.
• Single author articles are preferred for the award. In articles with multiple authors, the applicant should be the first author.
• Applications are accepted till 30 March 2019.
• The decision of the HAAL Executive Committee on this award is final.
Completed Application Form together with a photocopy or a downloaded hardcopy of the article/s submitted for the award should be sent to
Dr. Ricky Lam
AAB 811, Department of Education Studies,
Hong Kong Baptist University,
HK$2,500 per year. The grant will not be split.