Fawzia Braine taught English for more than 30 years in Sri Lanka, the Sultanate of Oman, and Hong Kong. She qualified and served as a librarian in the United States. Fawzia was a lecturer in English at Hong Kong Shue Yan University when she passed away in January, 2012. She had been a supporter of HAAL for many years.
This annual award amounting to HK$2,500.00 is made in her memory to a novice scholar (postgraduate student or a recent graduate) of a university in Hong Kong for a journal article published in an international referred journal in applied linguistics.
• Applicants should be enrolled, full- or part-time, at a university in Hong Kong or have graduated from a Hong Kong university within one year of the closing date for applications.
• Applicants should be current members of HAAL.
• The article should have been published in an international refereed journal in applied linguistics in the year for which the award is made.
• The article should be in English.
• Single author articles are preferred for the award. In articles with multiple authors, the applicant should be the first author.
• Applications are accepted till April 9 of 2020.
• The decision of the HAAL Executive Committee on this award is final.
Completed Application Form together with a photocopy or a downloaded hardcopy of the article/s submitted for the award should be sent to
Dr. Ricky Lam
AAB 830, Department of Education Studies,
Hong Kong Baptist University,
HK$2,500 per year. The grant will not be split.